Who Is The Black Chinaman?

My photo
Kuala Belait, Brunei
Saving someone's life is like falling in love. The best drug in the world. For days, sometimes weeks afterwards, you walk the streets, making infinite whatever you see. Once, for a few weeks, I couldn't feel the earth - everything I touched became lighter. Horns played in my shoes. Flowers fell from my pockets. You wonder if you've become immortal, as if you've saved your own life as well. God has passed through you. Why deny it, that for a moment there - why deny that for a moment there, God was you? I realised that my training was useful in less than ten percent of the calls, and saving lives was rarer than that. After a while, I grew to understand that my role was less about saving lives than about bearing witness. I was a grief mop. It was enough that I simply turned up. Living and working back in Brunei, after a 14 year absence... Also known as: Brunei, NASA, Bruise-Eye, Bru, Cheesecake, Nick, BruNick, BruMedNick, Two Step etc etc etc

Thursday 11 November 2010

Lest We Forget

Thanks to Lar DeSouza, of LICD fame, for sharing with the rest of the ether the following link. It's EPIC. :D Our Valued Customers

That site is great. It's about the snippets of conversations that the guy hears while working at a comic book store. I wonder what one would look like if it were of the bouncers or staff in a hospital ward..........

Just sitting here at the hospital on a rainy night. Only three of us on shift at the moment (the fourth nurse is upstairs with a neonate patient), and as usual, when one patient called us about 30 minutes ago, the other patients at either end of the ward called too, so while the two nurses were dealing with the original call, I was running from one end to the other answering the other calls and finding out what was required; luckily, nothing major. Just a fellow who needed to pee and a kid who had a stuffed nose. The usual.

News to me: we're apparently getting a night differential now! Better start getting some more night shifts...

During the drive to work earlier, it got interesting at one point; it's raining, a bit misty, and no streetlights. There was this red Lancer that was coming in hot behind me along a single carriage section of the highway, and nearly caused me to hit the side guardrails by cutting in front of me just before a corner. Other cars were coming towards us too at that time. After this corner, it widens to a dual carriage section for another 15 or so kilometres, with a U-turn facility about a kilometre in. After this facility, there are no more street lights again. There are two other cars in front of me on the slow lane, and I'm behind the Lancer on the fast lane. Lots of water is being blasted onto my windscreen by the guy. He's still going hot, and it looked like he was going into the slow lane in front of the other cars, and doing it dangerously too. I said a little prayer along the lines of, "May God have mercy on your passenger's and the other driver's souls if you continue driving like that." Just then, we hit the dark area, and the FREAKING LIGHTS VANISH! I looked into the mirror to see if there was the Lancer doing a U-turn or something, but there were no cars on the opposite side, and just the lights of the two cars that were there before. There was also no lights (or cars) on the side of the road, and I can only assume that if the red Lancer did lose it and fly off the side of the highway into the trees, the cars would have stopped (due to the distance from what I observed). The next car was already about four kilometres ahead about to go around a corner, and even if the guy was travelling at triple the speed limit, I doubt that he would have reached there while I travelled 200m. Immediate prayers were said.

It's not the first time, and it more than likely won't be the last time either. I can only hope that whoever (or whatever) it is/was, that they can rest peacefully.......

Speaking of resting peacefully, I just realised that it's the 11th of November. 96 years since the start of The Great War, The War To End All Wars. How wrong they were, and we still are now.

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them. Lest We Forget.

Thank a Veteran, and all those in the Armed Forces, past, present, and future.

Be safe out there.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger