Who Is The Black Chinaman?

My photo
Kuala Belait, Brunei
Saving someone's life is like falling in love. The best drug in the world. For days, sometimes weeks afterwards, you walk the streets, making infinite whatever you see. Once, for a few weeks, I couldn't feel the earth - everything I touched became lighter. Horns played in my shoes. Flowers fell from my pockets. You wonder if you've become immortal, as if you've saved your own life as well. God has passed through you. Why deny it, that for a moment there - why deny that for a moment there, God was you? I realised that my training was useful in less than ten percent of the calls, and saving lives was rarer than that. After a while, I grew to understand that my role was less about saving lives than about bearing witness. I was a grief mop. It was enough that I simply turned up. Living and working back in Brunei, after a 14 year absence... Also known as: Brunei, NASA, Bruise-Eye, Bru, Cheesecake, Nick, BruNick, BruMedNick, Two Step etc etc etc

Saturday 28 May 2011

Another Day Ends, Another Day Starts...

It's been a while.

I'm fulfilling a "fist-bump" promise that I made with Fi a few months ago to try to update the blog at least once a month; kinda failed for April...sorry Fi...

Tonight is the second night and last shift of the current four day run, and I'm looking forward to the one and a half days off that I have after this...time's now 0243, and in six hours time I'll be sitting with a dozen others doing a Fire Marshall course, then in about 12 hours time will be on my way to Miri to sleep and eat copious amounts of seafood...:D

Past two nights, though, have been pretty busy. Probably not as busy as other ambulance crews around the place, but interesting cases all the same. Tonight's was rougher than normal (for me anyhow), but more on that later...

So, just a quick run down on what's been happening for the past few months:

December 2010: transferred from the wards to the Outpatient Department, and involved with the modification of the new Company ambulance, based on the Ford Transit van. 2.4L turbo diesel engine, pretty meaty...

January 2011: the ambulance is commissioned and I get my Class 5 license, meaning I can legally drive any vehicle over 6720 pounds (3055 kg), or the equivalent of a HR license...also endorsed for a Class 4 (MR) license. I also start with the JPMC Emergency Ambulance Service.

February 2011: went to Singapore and met up with the Indonesian cousins to celebrate our Grandma's 80th birthday. Had an absolute blast. Steph also gets engaged.

March 2011: made my fist bump with Fi. Also finally finished my extended probation period with the company, and got a pay raise...:D

April 2011: Start working on the new ambulance project, but with so many bosses to work under, it's getting a little hectic at times...got a new supervisor too, but have to wait until he finishes his probation period for things to start happening...gearing up to -hopefully- be sent to Poland for the project...

May 2011: TURNED 25! Was one of the MC's for the International Nursing Day Gala Dinner on the 14th, and had a relatively good night. And also here we are...

So, there you have it, the past six months since November...with some pictures...:p

For the ambulance project, I've gotten pretty good thanks to the information provided by Ambulance Visibility regarding what are the industry standards on how to mark out an ambulance without being too distracting...also, if anyone's interested, this is the company building our new ambulances in Poland...

Tonight's case was bad. Young mother. Five month old foetus. Spontaneous. We managed to save the mother, but unfortunately not the baby...just hope that Whoever's Upstairs holds and keeps that poor child...:(

I understand that I work in an industry that deals with life and death. We regularly transport the recently deceased from the hospital to their homes for funeral preparations, and I normally don't feel anything; clinical detachment. The case earlier really did get to me, and it still is...

May your soul, and all the souls of the Faithfully Departed, rest in Eternal Peace. Amen.

Sigh...it's now 0323, and I'm getting sleepy...might just go outside and watch the movie I got earlier..."I Am Number Four"...should be interesting...

So, finally, got a dilemma; do I save up for a new laptop, or a new iPhone (and do I go with the iPhone 4, or wait for the iPhone 5)?...

Be safe.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger