Who Is The Black Chinaman?

My photo
Kuala Belait, Brunei
Saving someone's life is like falling in love. The best drug in the world. For days, sometimes weeks afterwards, you walk the streets, making infinite whatever you see. Once, for a few weeks, I couldn't feel the earth - everything I touched became lighter. Horns played in my shoes. Flowers fell from my pockets. You wonder if you've become immortal, as if you've saved your own life as well. God has passed through you. Why deny it, that for a moment there - why deny that for a moment there, God was you? I realised that my training was useful in less than ten percent of the calls, and saving lives was rarer than that. After a while, I grew to understand that my role was less about saving lives than about bearing witness. I was a grief mop. It was enough that I simply turned up. Living and working back in Brunei, after a 14 year absence... Also known as: Brunei, NASA, Bruise-Eye, Bru, Cheesecake, Nick, BruNick, BruMedNick, Two Step etc etc etc

Saturday 6 November 2010

Free Writing On The Past Few Months

I have absolutely no idea what to write, but it has been a while since I last wrote something, so, for the heck of it, here's something.

I'm working now at a private hospital in Brunei. Started there in September, and it's getting interesting. Lots of egos going around, and always interesting to see the interactions between people and how they change so drastically so quickly.

Also just finished a PreHospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) course on Monday; scored 90% in the written and passed the practical component. It was interesting to get back into it after a few years out of it.

With that in mind, the hospital is reopening their Emergency Department, and once that occurs (which is planned for the next few weeks) I'll be transferring into it. So, let's see what happens next.

Another thing I'm wondering is if anyone is really ready to say that "goodbye"? Is one of the reasons I was reluctant to come back to Brunei to work because of the possibility of seeing someone I grew up with die slowly? Living and working overseas in new places without ties reduces the possibility of seeing someone you know do that last journey, and you're just stopping the pain of those other poor souls...

I miss Australia. I miss the people there. I miss being me.

One last note:

1. Go to Google maps. 2. Go to maps and then directions 3. Type Japan as the start location. 4. Type China as the end location. 5. Go to direction #43. 6. Laugh, and repost!!

Peace out.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger