Who Is The Black Chinaman?

My photo
Kuala Belait, Brunei
Saving someone's life is like falling in love. The best drug in the world. For days, sometimes weeks afterwards, you walk the streets, making infinite whatever you see. Once, for a few weeks, I couldn't feel the earth - everything I touched became lighter. Horns played in my shoes. Flowers fell from my pockets. You wonder if you've become immortal, as if you've saved your own life as well. God has passed through you. Why deny it, that for a moment there - why deny that for a moment there, God was you? I realised that my training was useful in less than ten percent of the calls, and saving lives was rarer than that. After a while, I grew to understand that my role was less about saving lives than about bearing witness. I was a grief mop. It was enough that I simply turned up. Living and working back in Brunei, after a 14 year absence... Also known as: Brunei, NASA, Bruise-Eye, Bru, Cheesecake, Nick, BruNick, BruMedNick, Two Step etc etc etc

Wednesday 17 March 2010

So, If It Was Meant To Happen, It'll Happen...

Trying to update this blog using the iPod.

Now, it definitely has been a while since the last update...was just thinking how this blog has been the constant in my life for nearly a decade as well...this time next week I'll be getting ready to finish up in Australia...

The past two years have been quite an adventure, to say the least...fell in (what I highly assumed to be) love, found an interesting career path (and all the characters that came with it), and more or less felt like the Prodigal Son...lost some old friends, some to the ravages of distance, some to the Great Journey...met multitudes of interesting characters too...shared good times and bad, with friends and enemies alike...experienced unforgettable moments; Big Day Out, World Youth Day, providing security for the Prime Minister, Good Vibrations, and so many concerts, Screaming Jets, Hoodoogurus, British India, 28 Days...

The move back to Brunei after ten years over here in Oz was a relatively easy one to make. A variety of issues were considered. Ten years is a long time for anything.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger