Who Is The Black Chinaman?

My photo
Kuala Belait, Brunei
Saving someone's life is like falling in love. The best drug in the world. For days, sometimes weeks afterwards, you walk the streets, making infinite whatever you see. Once, for a few weeks, I couldn't feel the earth - everything I touched became lighter. Horns played in my shoes. Flowers fell from my pockets. You wonder if you've become immortal, as if you've saved your own life as well. God has passed through you. Why deny it, that for a moment there - why deny that for a moment there, God was you? I realised that my training was useful in less than ten percent of the calls, and saving lives was rarer than that. After a while, I grew to understand that my role was less about saving lives than about bearing witness. I was a grief mop. It was enough that I simply turned up. Living and working back in Brunei, after a 14 year absence... Also known as: Brunei, NASA, Bruise-Eye, Bru, Cheesecake, Nick, BruNick, BruMedNick, Two Step etc etc etc

Monday 23 February 2009

One Year...And Change...

15 Feb 2009 marked one year since I moved to the Sunshine Coast, and in that time, a lot of things have happened, good things, bad things, strange things, funny things......

Azheel, my housemate since May 2008, moved back to the Maldives on 12 February; got a new housemate now, Luk, who's also another security guard (used to go to uni with his mum); my house back in Brunei got flooded numerous times in January while I was back home; I met a girl that I though I could and would love till the end, and to an extent, I still pine for her when it's dark and lonely at night; I tried to move on with someone else that I knew, and with some help from another female friend, sent a unresponded-to-as-yet message, detailing how I felt (that didn't work out, from the looks of things, but being optimistic "no news is good news"); was privilaged to have been able to take part in World Youth Day in Sydney last year, meeting fellow St Johnnies from all over the world, and still keeping in contact with them; caught up with numerous old friends too from Bintulu, Singapore and Brunei, plus of course Bathurst (got to love Facebook); managed to be part of the group that assisted the Australian Federal Police protect the Prime Minister Kevin Rudd when he visited Nambour in July 2008; spent a night in Caboolture Hospital following a bar fight in Narangba; met with the member of the Hoodoo Gurus and GANGgajang through work, plus British India, Chin, and numerous other bands...and so many other things, but I cannot remember them at this time...

Looking back like that, I've been privilaged in being able to have been exposed to so many different opportunities and experiences...regrets, I've had a few, memories, a lot more...

Today also marks the first day of uni again, and having to buy $610 worth of textbooks...which I'm not looking forward to doing in the next week...:(

I've also found out that my unit has been sold, so I have to move out in April...which is a shame, I've finally been able to organise the place just the way I want to...but hey, such is life, move on and with, or be stagnant and die...kinda like what I used to do...it's just going to be messy, again...

I better finish up here, and give a sort of indication that I'll try to keep updating this blog again when I can, and not leave it for a year or two like I did last time...

Hope this finds you well.......

Be safe.

N

No comments:

Powered By Blogger