Who Is The Black Chinaman?

My photo
Kuala Belait, Brunei
Saving someone's life is like falling in love. The best drug in the world. For days, sometimes weeks afterwards, you walk the streets, making infinite whatever you see. Once, for a few weeks, I couldn't feel the earth - everything I touched became lighter. Horns played in my shoes. Flowers fell from my pockets. You wonder if you've become immortal, as if you've saved your own life as well. God has passed through you. Why deny it, that for a moment there - why deny that for a moment there, God was you? I realised that my training was useful in less than ten percent of the calls, and saving lives was rarer than that. After a while, I grew to understand that my role was less about saving lives than about bearing witness. I was a grief mop. It was enough that I simply turned up. Living and working back in Brunei, after a 14 year absence... Also known as: Brunei, NASA, Bruise-Eye, Bru, Cheesecake, Nick, BruNick, BruMedNick, Two Step etc etc etc

Monday 31 December 2012

Au revoir 2012, bonjour possibilités...

Laurence Binyon wrote "For The Fallen" in September 1914, as the Battle of the Marne took its toll on the British Expeditionary Force on the Western Front.

Since then, an extract has become the "Ode of Remembrance" that people are more familiar with.

I am using these hallowed words with the utmost respect as I reflect on the year that was.

"...At the going down of the sun..."

As the last rays of sunshine set below the South China Sea, 2012 was a great mixture of ups and downs.

Quoting from an image of a heart beat rhythm from one of the EMS pages I subscribe to, "if your life has no ups and downs, you are dead."

In June, there was a possibility and opportunity to drastically change my career path; I applied and was invited to go through the interview process to become a helicopter pilot. Made it all the way until the end, but ultimately didn't succeed. Had to do a flight simulation and a psychological interview.

In October, another opportunity came about that I grasped with open hands, but will have to wait until the end of January 2013 for the results; the International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety (or NEBOSH course). 80 hours of study crammed into 10 instruction days and a 2-part exam process which included two 2-hour written exams and a week of work later, a 1000-word health and safety report. My brain was fried and mushy!

"...And in the morning..."

I made a stack of new friends through the year. Some are still here at the end, others have moved along. The Rogues' Gallery from a lifetime ago also hung about for the most part, some deciding that our friendship was not comparable; if you're from FB and are reading this, thanks for sticking around. Even though we sometimes catch up but rarely talk, please know that I have rarely deleted people (in fact, less than 10) through the years.

My dear cousin Steph married her childhood friend and elementary school classmate Edrick in a beautiful ceremony in Jakarta, Indonesia in July. The whole family (mum's side) came back from the USA and Singapore for it. Ate waaaay too much food (we were staying at the Jakarta JW Marriott) and all the Indonesian delicacies that is quite hard to find around here...good fun...

"...We will remember them..."

Through the year, the family has lost a few members. A few friends have also moved on with their next Journey. May your souls rest in Eternal Peace.

There are so many more things to say, but I am working tonight, so, I will take this opportunity to wish you and yours the happiest and most wonderful new year, and to remind you to cherish each moment that you have, especially with your families.

To all those serving in the armed forces overseas, to our first responders working the front lines, and the staff working to make our lives easier (taxi/bus drivers, wait staff, cleaners et al), thank you for all your efforts through the year, an especially through the holiday season, where many of us take for granted that we are more deserving of a holiday than many of you. Thank you all.

"...Lest We Forget..."

No comments:

Powered By Blogger